Daily Spirit & Word: 784: Getting to Know God Better.
How to LIVE Forever, without being ‘RELIGIOUS’…
Ezekiel 37:13-14 (NIV)
13 Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and bring you up from them.
14 I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.’ “
Good morning my friends, over the years I’ve met many people who consider themselves to be Christians, but struggle to know God personally. These are lovely genuine and sincere people who’ve done everything, they think, that’s required to get to know God.
- They’ve repented of their sins, but nothing seems to happen.
- They’ve asked Jesus to come into their hearts, but nothing seems to have happened.
- They’ve believed that Jesus has died upon the cross for their sins, but still nothing seems to have happened in their lives, they got no assurance that God is with them and that they are saved from their sins. So what’s missing?
It’s often a case of mistaken beliefs; or misbeliefs.
Some people think they’ve got to do something extra. So they try being even more religious: Praying more, reading their Bible more, attending lots-n-lots of worship. Then they’ll go running around trying all the latest ‘religious’ fads; fasting, all night prayers, revival meetings. They attend courses, and lectures and they’ll even try getting a degree in theology and all because they want to get to know God. They are hungering for the one thing that’s missing, they know something is missing and they know they need it.
My friends, if there was anything you could do to get to know God, then Jesus would not have had to die upon the Cross.
Assurance comes from God: He, Himself, Alone lets you know when you’ve become His child, when the Holy Spirit comes to take up residence in your life; i.e. You’ve been born again of God’s Holy Spirit. From the moment that happens, you won’t need anyone in this world to give you assurance that you are saved, that you are a child of God. You’ll not need to be religious any longer. You’ll be set free from the feeling of or need to be religious to be right with God.
In this little book of Ezekiel the Prophet of God tells us over 30 times: (in different ways) “My People Will KNOW that I AM The LORD” and How will they know it? Because as our verse tells us today: “I will PUT MY SPIRIT IN THEM” When God does that to a person, they KNOW HIM, they KNOW the LORD.
So often we settle for much less than God wants to give us, we stop short at being religious, when God wants us to be filled to overflowing with Himself in the person of the Holy Spirit. Once we understand that, then all of Jesus other teachings begin to make more sense. We’ll see that because of and with His indwelling power and help, all things become possible for those who believe and trust in and rely upon the Lord Jesus Christ.
Jesus, talking about the Holy Spirit, told the woman at the well about the FOUNTAIN within, welling up… LIVING WATER… Awesome! John 4
So my friends, a word from the LORD today: It’s God who puts His Spirit in you. When He does, you will KNOW Him.
And when you worship, it will be IN SPIRIT and TRUTH… John 4.
How do I get God’s Holy Spirit?
Ask, Jesus tells us, “Ask and it shall be given unto you”… (Matthew 7:7, Luke 11:9)
Ask, Jesus tells us, “How much more with your Heavenly Father give the HOLY SPIRIT to those who ask HIM”… (Believe and Trust). (Luke 11:13).
- believed that Jesus died upon the Cross for your sins.
- that He rose again from the dead,
- that He ascended into Heaven,
- that He commands all people to repent and believe that Good News,
- that He wants you to receive Him as LORD of your life,
- that you’ve turned from sin in repentance and trusted in His death upon the cross,
- oh my friends, you are READY: Now ask, receive by faith the Holy Spirit that God the Father wants to give you.
Be assured, He will come: He will make Himself KNOWN in your life, you will KNOW God.
THE FRUIT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
When He comes, He’ll begin to produce the fruit of the Holy Spirit in your life;
- LOVE (For God and others),
- JOY (much more and deeper than simple happiness, it’s a deep and lasting JOY in the LORD),
- PEACE (Fear begins to dwindle when you’ve got the Holy Spirit),
- PATIENCE (You’ll experience a degree of tolerance with other people, with situations, with your own desires and wants, they’ll change and you’ll begin to want what God wants),
- KINDNESS (You’ll find yourself wanting to be generous with your time, your money, your self),
- GOODNESS (You’ll want to be morally good, all the old habitual sins will become distasteful for you. You’ll hate what you used to like),
- FAITHFULNESS (You’ll love being faithful to your promises, and feel bad when you can’t keep them. You’ll be faithful to friends, family, church leaders and brothers and sisters in Christ),
- GENTLENESS (You’ll discover and NEW gentleness and desire to show mercy to those who don’t even like you),
- SELF-CONTROL (You’ll experience a NEW degree of POWER to say no to; anger, bitterness, rage, temptation, etc)
It’s God who does these things in you, it will be a Super-Natural-Spiritual FREEDOM….
It’s God who puts His Holy Spirit in you: He also gives wonderful amazing SPIRITUAL Gifts… Receive them!
My friends, who doens’t want the FRUIT of the HOLY SPIRIT?
Get to know God Better today, by receiving God, the HOLY SPIRIT by Asking Father God…
It’s not about being more religious, but calling out in FAITH, and believing the PROMISES of God.
Happy, Happy Day,
(NOTE: Go back and re-read Ezekiel chapters 28-39 and you’ll see just how much God wants His chosen people to know Him and how he’s going to do it through many different means, to bring them to the point and realisation; it’s through death to self and rising to new life in Christ Jesus in the POWER of the HOLY SPIRIT.)