Daily Spirit & Word, 502: Jesus Gives A New Purpose.
Saturday 2nd of May 2015.
40 Days With Jesus: Day 18: New Purpose.
Good morning my friends, I’m going off in a few minutes to pick up the grandchildren for another adventure with Granny and Papa. My daughter is going over to help one of her friends, who has more than three kids and is finding life a bit tough at the moment. She and a few others have arranged to go and help clean her house and give her a special tread. I don’t know about you, but in my short lifetime I’ve come to understand this, I feel much better about myself afterwards if I help people rather than send them away or walk past without even inclining my head in the direction of need.
Jesus calls us to live this kind of selfless life. I know that there are many, who are not Christians, who live utterly selfless lives and can even put many Christians to shame, but our Lord Jesus Christ, whilst He was here on earth and after the resurrection called everyone who puts their faith and trust in Him into a life of service; God first then everybody else, but why? Why does He call us to serve others?
Imagine for a moment if Jesus had made it the other way around. He was the KING of Kings and LORD of Lords right? Well, Imagine if Jesus had come as a KING, made people into His servants instead of serving. If He came like that, on a great big white Charging Chariot instead of a Donkey. Imagine if He viewed everyone as His slaves, and used His power to make people serve Him. Do you think there would be any followers in the world today? Most people like strong men for a season, for a purpose, to sort out a problem, but they don’t really want a strong many around for very much longer than the duration of the problem. e.g. Winston Churchil, was the right man at the right time to lead the country in time of war, but in time of peace, the populace had little time for his fanciful ideas of Empire etc… He didn’t last long after the war. Yes people were extremely grateful for His wartime efforts,, but barely tolerated that strength in peacetime. Jesus, could have been tolerated as a Big and Mighty KING as long as He was taking care of Israel’s enemies, but as soon as they didn’t need Him, would the people still LOVE their strong leader? History shows that people’s affections are fickle, if they’re not getting what they want, they’ll move off to follow someone else.
Christians are called to model SERVICE and HUMILITY to a world that believes in SUCCESS and PERSONAL HAPPINESS and SATISFACTION. Jesus called us to serve God first and then others with our lives. How are we doing?
In the Resurrection Appearances: Jesus gave the Disciples a foretaste of what was to come: He breathed on them and said, receive the Holy Spirit. He told them that in a few days they would be clothed with POWER from on High, but it was NOT, I repeat, NOT power to Lord it over people or power to be in charge or power to dominate and fascinate, but POWER to SERVE and to BE. He’s giving us the POWER of HEAVEN for His Purposes.
- 1) Simply to be a Christian.
- 2) To Worship and Love God.
- 3) To Serve God.
- 4) To Love others
- 5) To serve God by Serving Others.
- 6) To Help others to come to Know the life of a Christian is to be saved by God and to serve God, then to reach out to others to introduce them to God and server them too.
Jesus Purposes are ALL Selfless. Instead of the world putting Christians to shame, we should be so in love with God, with Jesus the Son of God, with the Holy Spirit who fills and equips us for service, that we’ll be living such good and selfless lives that we’ll put the whole world to shame.
Jesus did say, “It’s by your love for one another, that people will know you are my disciples”.
My friends, Jesus didn’t call us to a life of service to make us feel stupid, to make us feel small and insignificant, but when we’re totally given over to serving God and serving others, then we’ll not only be at total PEACE within, but there’ll be a JOY that the world cannot ever give you and you’ll know your Purpose on earth.
Over the years I’ve lived on earth, I’ve known people who’ve got a high from hard-drugs, but it never lasts and they’ll keep coming back to try and get the same buzz, that same great feeling of ecstasy that it gave them the first time they took it, but they’ll never get it. So they try harder and take stronger more harmful drugs in the endless pursuit of the great big beautiful high. It’s not long before they’re hooked. These dreadful drugs tell people lies my friends. Their lives are ruined and their bodies begin to show it. One of the people I’ve gotten to know here in London, through years of ministry and service, a great friend, whom I’ve been sharing the Gospel of Jesus, I saw her the other day, and she was stumbling along the road looking like a living skeleton. Her life given over completely to drugs.
It’s so sad watching and being with people who’s lives have been totally wreaked by these most destructive habits, but there’s no drug in the world can make you feel as happy as serving God by helping others. When you get home and put your head on the pillow, you’ll be going off to the land of nod, sleepy time, dreaming about how you can next serve God rather than the empty selfish dreams of personal wealth, health and living your life in endless and soul-draining pursuit of the elusive, smoke-like dream of eternal bliss and happiness. You’ll never be satisfied until you find your satisfaction in God and know what His purpose is for your life. When you get that you’ll desires will be entierly different, it’s like each time you do something good, the feelings get better and better and stronger. The JOY is exponential my friends and doesn’t diminish like the high that drugs can give you. You’ll be going from strength to strength in the POWER of the Holy Spirit.
Points To Ponder:
- To what extent can you say that you live beyond yourself on a daily basis? i.e. Living For God and Others.
- Where do you believe the Lord has sent or is going to send you? Maybe He cas called you to a certain city or country. Perhaps it’s a people group the Lord has put upon your heart; e.g. India, Pakistan, Scotland, China, etc… He puts His burdens upon His people. Take some time to bring this question to the Lord and ask afresh where He just may be calling or sending you in life.
- Remember, whatever the Lord calls you to do for Him in this world, He’s also equipping you to accomplish that task.
- Most of us are sent initially to our immediate workplace and neighbourhood, to be the Lord’s SALT & LIGHT. This is part of fulfilling our basic mission when we’re called to faith and trust in Jesus and we respond with a loud yes. He’s give you immediate tasks; sharing your faith, as those first witnesses to the Lord immediately did. Your first call is to tell others about Jesus, have you done that?
- How passionate are you about His call to service? Does it fill you with Joy to be able to serve the Lord? Or are you a reluctant servant? Remember Jesus parable of the two sons. One said he would go and work for his father, but didn’t. The other said he wouldn’t, but thought about it and later changed his mind. However, you find yourself serving the Lord today, try and do it willingly, but do it no matter how you feel, because sometimes when we obediently serve the Lord, great feelings begin to follow.
Dear Lord Jesus, I’m praying that You’ll use me today for Your Glory. May I increasingly be a generous giver of my time and my resources, and all my gifts and talents so that I’ll become an even better servant in Your Kingdom. I’m taking seriously today the part of the prayer you taught us; “Your Kingdom Come: Your Will Be Done” (Matthew 6:10). By Your Holy Spirit, Lord, fill and equip me and lead and guide me into daily service for You. Amen.
Now can you imagine a life better and more satisfying than that? No wonder Jesus looked forward to the Cross and endured it’s pain and agony, He had his mind set on how He’d feel once He’d given His life in service of the Father and YOU. Now He’s calling you to that same high calling. It’s when we give our lives that we find them and our purpose of existence, then the joy of the Lord will flood our soul. When you put your head on the pillow at the end of the day, you’ll sleep like the King’s baby. Amen.
God bless and keep you all close to Him today my friends,
Daily Spirit & Word, 502: Jesus Gives New Purpose.
Day 18: Jesus Gives New Purpose.