Daily Spirit & Word: 822: A Spirit Filled Christian
“But be filled with the Spirit” Eph. 5:18
Now you wouldn’t go out without charging your mobile phone today, would you? Yet so many Christians are going out into the world without seeking the fullness of Holy Spirit.
People who know me well will know that I’m a man who’s possessed. Possessed by God’s Holy Spirit, but one of the mistakes I’ve made in the past is to seek Holy Spirit anointing, filling and empowerment for what I can get out of it. He does bring wonderful feelings, however it makes me cringe now to think of how foolish I’ve been.
But what does it mean to be “filled with the Spirit”?
There are many today who want to be filled with the Holy Spirit just for the kick, the experience, the feelings that they get when the Holy Spirit comes upon them and in them. Some want the Holy Spirit for the POWER He gives to believers. These things are all wonderful and amazing and awesome. However, as we’ll see from the whole counsel of God’s Word, when a person is filled with Holy Spirit, their whole life is transformed and turned up-side-down to make them into Divine, Holy and powerful witnesses for God, who will in turn transform their own world and those around about them. WHY? Because,
1) A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN:
WILL WORSHIP IN THE SPIRIT
When you get filled with Holy Spirit your worship takes on NEW and Exciting aspects.
“Worship him in Spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).
Spirit-filled Christians are not in bondage to a form of godliness; they don’t follow religious rules and regulations, but at the same time, they are not fanatics or daydreamers. They are not bound by social pressures or by the spirit of the age. Their mind is renewed and changed to live a self-sacrificial life of loving service to Jesus Christ and His Mission.
Spirit-filled Christians worship with the anointing of God and the witness of the Holy Spirit. When you are filled afresh and anointed in Holy Spirit you’ll change inwardly and express it outwardly. HOW? because,
2) A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN:
WILL WORK TOGETHER IN UNITY
“Continuing daily with one accord” (Acts 2:46).
Spirit-filled Christians do not work against one another. They are working in harmony—no resentments, frictions, factions or divisions. Because they recognise that EVERY true believer in Jesus Christ has the SAME Holy Spirit within them too. They know He’ll be working for unity and there is no competition.
They are concerned about getting God’s work accomplished. Christians work together in unity when they love God and one another. (Eph. 4:3). They’ll be working to BUILD the body of Christ (His Church). They’ll be using HOLY SPIRIT GIFTS to BUILD the body of Christ to make it strong, and to enable the immature to grow towards maturity in the Holy Spirit.
Ephesians 4:11-16 (NIV) HOW HOLY SPIRIT GIFTS BUILD UNITY.
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fulness of Christ.
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.
15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
3) A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN:
WILL BE WILLING TO FORGIVE OTHERS
“Forbearing… and forgiving one another” (Col. 3:13).
Spirit-filled Christians make mistakes, errors and blunders just like everyone else, but they possess a forgiving spirit. They do not hold resentments. As God forgave them, so they forgive others.
Forgiveness lifts burdens, brings joy and peace to mind and soul (Matt. 6:14-15).
From a human stand-point, forgiveness is hard, but when Holy Spirit comes, He’ll ENABLE you to walk in forgiveness. He’ll so fill you with love that you’ll not want to withhold forgiveness. Forgiveness releases more than just the person needing forgiveness, it releases you too. You’ll experience NEW freedom when you truly forgive others.
4) A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN:
WILL WALK IN DIVINE LOVE
“And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us (Eph. 5:2).
Romans 5:5 (NIV) “And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”
Walking in LOVE is not like walking around with a dream-like-look on your face.
You know that you are in Christ Jesus if you LOVE others. (Read 1 John 1 and 2)
God’s love is implanted and poured out into the heart of the follower of Jesus Christ by God Himself and it works its way out to bless others. You will overflow with God’s Holy, Gentle, LOVE…
When Christians surrender themselves to God, they are cleansed of sinful attitudes, bitterness is washed away, sinful desires turned into Holy desires, malice, hatred, envy and strife are washed away, and are replaced with Holy Spirit of love.
If you are struggling in any of these areas of life today, then you KNOW you need MORE of God The Holy Spirit in your soul. Turn to Jesus Christ afresh today, ask to be filled afresh with Holy Spirit, do it right now, because you KNOW you need Him inside you… Perhaps just reading this you can feel the Holy Spirit’s LOVE filling your heart. I can feel Him right now. Praise God!
5) A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN:
WILL WITNESS TO THE LOST
“And ye shall be witnesses unto me” (Acts 1:8).
Spirit-filled Christians welcome opportunities to share what Christ means to them with others. Witnessing is a natural consequence of this infilling of the Holy Spirit of God. YOU WILL BE MY WITNESSES… It’s not an option. Some people imagine that ONLY evangelists are anointed to witness. Only an evangelist can share the Good News and bring others to Christ. This is a perversion of God’s Word and a convenient excuse that is given for not doing what should come super-naturally to every believer. The Evangelists purpose is to EQUIP others to EVANGELISE, not to be “The EXPERT”… (Romans 4:11-16)
When we WITNESS: We get a GREATER REVELATION of what it means to be IN CHRIST:
Philemon 1:6 (NIV) I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.
TOO MUCH ATTENTION:
Far too much attention and focus has been given to GETTING instead of seeing God’s primary purpose in giving and gifting believers for BUILDING and GIVING AWAY.
Though there are many more things A SPIRIT FILLED CHRISTIAN will do; Prophesy, Healing, Speaking in Tongues, Getting Words of Knowledge, etc… LOVE is the overarching, the highest point and the seal, mark and engraving of what it means to be FILLED WITH GOD, THE HOLY SPIRIT.
TOO LITTLE ATTENTION:
In some fellowships, too little attention or focus is given to being filled with Holy Spirit, instead, like many good Evangelical churches, their primary attention is given to acquiring knowledge of God’s Word. There’s nothing wrong with that, but to the exclusion of Holy Spirit empowerment and anointing it’s a grave error. We all NEED Holy Spirit as much today as ever before. If we’re not seeking the filling of Holy Spirit we’ll be POWERLESS. Now you wouldn’t go out without charging your mobile phone today would you? Yet so many Christians are going out into the world without seeking the fullness of Holy Spirit.
So what? What am I supposed to do now?
I hear myself asking that question and you might be too.
The answer is crystal clear by now, I hope; Ephesians 5:18 (KJV) “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;”
Cry out to the LORD: Ask your Heavenly Father and The Lord Jesus Christ to send the Holy Spirit into your being right now. When you ask, don’t doubt it, because He is PLEASED, HAPPY and WILLING to give Holy Spirit anointing to you.
Luke 11:11-13 (NIV)
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
BE FILLED: And;
- You will worship in Spirit and Truth.
- You will work together in unity.
- You will be willing to forgive.
- You will Walk in Love.
- You will Want to Witness to the LOST and LEAD them to Jesus Christ.
- You will RECEIVE; Holy Spirit Gifts to BUILD the Body of Christ….
Now do you still want to be FILLED with Holy Spirit?
PRAYER: Heavenly Father I can see that I need to be filled with Holy Spirit today. Please LORD send the Holy Spirit afresh into my being today, I know I need You. Come Holy Spirit and fill me to overflowing. Let me worship, walk in unity and love, enable me to forgive and anoint me so that I’ll want to witness and lead others to Jesus Christ. Please give me all the Spiritual gifts that I’ll need today to be the person you want me to be. Amen.
NOTES: What Does The Holy Spirit Do?
- The Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8).
- The Spirit guides us into all truth (John 16:13).
- The Spirit regenerates us (John 3:5-8; Titus 3:5).
- The Spirit glorifies and testifies of Christ (John 15:26; 16:14).
- The Spirit reveals Christ to us and in us (John 16:14-15).
- The Spirit leads us (Rom. 8:14; Gal. 5:18; Matt. 4:1; Luke 4:1).
- The Spirit sanctifies us (2 Thess. 2:13; 1 Pet. 1:2; Rom. 5:16).
- The Spirit empowers us (Luke 4:14; 24:49; Rom. 15:19; Acts 1:8).
- The Spirit fills us (Eph. 5:18; Acts 2:4; 4:8, 31; 9:17).
- The Spirit teaches us to pray (Rom. 8:26-27; Jude 1:20).
- The Spirit bears witness in us that we are children of God (Rom. 8:16).
- The Spirit produces in us the fruit or evidence of His work and presence (Gal. 5:22-23).
- The Spirit distributes spiritual gifts and manifestations (the outshining) of His presence to and through the body (1 Cor. 12:4, 8-10; Heb. 2:4).
- The Spirit anoints us for ministry (Luke 4:18; Acts 10:38)
- The Spirit washes and renews us (Titus 3:5).
- The Spirit brings unity and oneness to the body (Eph. 4:3; 2:14-18). When the Holy Spirit is operating in a group of people, He unites them in love. Therefore, a sure evidence of the Holy Spirit working in a group is Love and Unity. Not just signs and wonders (those are seasonal and can be counterfeited, I’ve known many who are supposedly filled with Holy).
- The Spirit is our guarantee and deposit of the future resurrection (2 Cor. 1:22; 2 Cor. 5:5).
- The Spirit seals us unto the day of redemption (Eph. 1:13; 4:30).
- The Spirit sets us free from the law of sin and death (Rom. 8:2).
- The Spirit quickens our mortal bodies (Rom. 8:11).
- The Spirit reveals the deep things of God to us (1 Cor. 2:10).
- The Spirit reveals what has been given to us from God (1 Cor. 2:12).
- The Spirit dwells in us (Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 3:16; 2 Tim. 1:14; John 14:17).
- The Spirit speaks to, in, and through us (1 Cor. 12:3; 1 Tim. 4:1; Rev. 2:11; Heb 3:7; Matt. 10:20; Acts 2:4; 8:29; 10:19; 11:12, 28; 13:2; 16:6,7; 21:4,11).
- The Spirit is the agent by which we are baptized into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13).
- The Spirit brings liberty (2 Cor. 3:17).
- The Spirit transforms us into the image of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).
- The Spirit cries in our hearts, “Abba, Father” (Gal. 4:6).
- The Spirit enables us to wait (Gal. 5:5).
- The Spirit supplies us with Christ (Phil. 1:19, KJV).
- The Spirit grants everlasting life (Gal. 6:8).
- The Spirit gives us access to God the Father (Eph. 2:18).
- The Spirit makes us (corporately) God’s habitation (Eph. 2:22).
- The Spirit reveals the mystery of God to us (Eph. 3:5).
- The Spirit strengthens our spirits (Eph. 3:16).
- The Spirit enables us to obey the truth (1 Pet. 1:22).
- The Spirit enables us to know that Jesus abides in us (1 John 3:24; 4:13).
- The Spirit confesses that Jesus came in the flesh (1 John 4:2).
- The Spirit says “Come, Lord Jesus” along with the bride (Rev. 22:17).
- The Spirit dispenses God’s love into our hearts (Rom. 5:5).
- The Spirit bears witness to the truth in our conscience (Rom. 9:1).
- The Spirit teaches us (1 Cor. 2:13; John 14:26).
- The Spirit gives us joy (1 Thess. 1:6).
- The Spirit enables some to preach the gospel (1 Pet. 1:12).
- The Spirit moves us (2 Pet. 1:21).
- The Spirit knows the things of God (1 Cor. 2:11).
- The Spirit casts out demons (Matt. 12:28).
- The Spirit brings things to our remembrance (John 14:26).
- The Spirit comforts us (Acts 9:31).
- The Spirit makes some overseers in the church and sends some out to the work of church planting [through the body] (Acts 20:28; 13:2).
The Holy Spirit is God:
Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit are ONE:
He’s active in EVERY Believer and Follower of Jesus Christ.
However, we NEED to keep being FILLED….
ASK! ASK! ASK!
And you will RECEIVE… It’s HIS PROMISE…. Believe it, Receive it…
Far too many followers of Jesus Christ today are walking around EMPTY.
Some are half-filled and have gifted anointing, but no LOVE: 1 Corinthians 13… We need LOVE more than anything else… The GREATEST of all Holy Spirit Gifts…