Daily Spirit & Word, 632: Even ‘Good’ People Need Jesus.
Learning To Depend Upon The Holy Spirit.
Good morning my friends, you know something, we can try with all our might to win people for Christ, we can use persuasion, illustration, argument, reason and personal testimony, but without the Holy Spirit all of that is worthless. You see my friends, we need two basic things to win people to Jesus: and they are both the same:
- First, we need to be praying for the fullness of the Holy Spirit within ourselves.
- Second, we need to be praying for the Holy Spirit to be at work in the lives of those we want to draw to Jesus.
God’s WORD will do it’s work: Sharing the Good News (Whole Gospel) will bring FAITH to believe in Jesus Christ.
The Holy Spirit will do His work to draw them to put that faith to work and trust in Jesus for Salvation.
Without the Holy Spirit all our work is futile and empty. Jesus said, “Apart from Me, you can do nothing” John 15.
Last night was a perfect example: A young couple who’d asked for a thanksgiving for their children in church needed to be prepared for the Service (A Thanksgiving is not the same as Baptism). There was an immediate warmth and welcome in the home when I arrived. The children were excited to see me and the mum and dad were very friendly, alert and ready to talk. The wife had attended some school services at church and a thanksgiving service for one of her friend’s children, but other than that she’d never attended church regularly. The husband, though he was baptised as a Roman Catholic, had never gotten into attending church. He had gone to confession as a boy with the Priest and said his prayers occasionally. The couple had four children and had just gotten married a few weeks before last night’s meeting. The children attend the Church of England primary school.
Though they were not ‘religious’, as we chatted it became obvious they were; decent, hard-working, loving and ‘good’ people. They didn’t see the need for going to church or for being religious. I asked if they thought they were good people, of course they did. Then I asked them, “Are you good enough to get into Heaven?” They immediately and enthusiastically replied “Yes!”.
I pulled out one of our wallet tracts; they’re brilliant for this kind of witnessing situation. In the room were mum, dad and the twins. I shared out the tracts and gave one to each of them. There’s a series of good humoured questions. I introduced the tracts like this; “I’ve got a little wallet here, it’s not real, but it looks real. I want you to imagine you’ve just found a fat wallet full of real money and credit cards, let’s see how you would each answer the personality analysis questions”. The giggled when they opened up the wallet and were impressed with it, because it looked real.
BTW: Before going into the house, I had prayed on the way in the car. I asked the Lord to cleanse me, fill me with the Holy Spirit and guide our conversations. I asked the Lord to be working in the lives of these people that I’d never met and by His Holy Spirit to be drawing them to faith and trust in Jesus Christ. As I knocked on the door I asked the Lord to bless the house.
Going through the questions, we listened as they each explained their answers. It’s amazing how God works on people’s conscience. How the right use of God’s Law revealed in His Commandments enables people to see that they’ve offended God. Often in small ways, without even realising it.
Here are the questions on the Wallet Tract:
1. If this was a real wallet, packed with real money, would you: A. Keep it? B. Take it to the police? C. Give some of the money to the poor? ……………………………………….
2. You have been underpaid for years. There’s a BIG mistake in your paycheck to your advantage, would you: A. Tell the boss? B. Keep quiet? C. Give some to a church? ………………………………………….
3. If telling a white lie would save a friend’s job, would you: A. Tell the truth? B. Act dumb? C. Lie? ……………..
4. Do you consider yourself to be a “good” person? A. Yes. B. No. ………………….
5. Have you ever told a lie for any reason (including “fibs” and “white” lies–be honest)? A. Yes. B. No. ………………………
6. Have you ever stolen something–irrespective of its value (listen to your conscience)? A. Yes. B. No. ………………………
7. Would you consider a person who admits that they are a liar and a thief, to be a “good” person? …………………………
8. Who do you think will enter Heaven? A. Those who say they are good when they are not? B. Liars and thieves? C. Those whom God has forgiven and cleansed of sin? …………………………….
9. Did you realise that the Bible warns that thieves, liars, fornicators (those who have had sex out of marriage), idolaters (those who create a god to suit themselves), adulterers, and the covetous (the greedy), will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven?
10. Did you also realise that the Bible says “whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart”? On Judgment Day God will bring to light “every secret thing, whether good or evil.” When you stand before God on Judgment Day, will you be innocent or guilty? The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. God provided only one way for you to escape His just and holy wrath. Because He is “rich in mercy,” God sent His Son to earth in the person of Jesus Christ — fully God and fully Man. Jesus suffered and died on the cross, taking upon Himself the punishment you deserve for your sins against God. Then He rose from the dead and defeated sin and death. We broke God’s Law, but Jesus paid our fine. That means He can legally dismiss our case. He can commute our death sentence. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” Please, repent (turn from your sin) today and place your trust in Jesus alone for your salvation. God will grant you everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it. …………………………………
Once you’ve trusted in Jesus for forgiveness and New Life: Start sharing your Lord with others.
I’ll not go into all the detail of our conversations and their answers. However, the couple and the children answered the questions honestly; and this led to a wonderful presentation of the Good News of Jesus. Afterwards the couple and the children were so amazed, the man of the home said, “When you explained that Jesus died upon the cross for my sin, it was as if a light had been switched on in a dark room.” I asked them all if the Cross made sense to them, they said, they’d never seen it that way before. The woman explained that she was always puzzled by the cross of Jesus and questioned why He had to die, but now it makes complete sense to her. “He took my place upon the Cross, so that I could be forgiven”.
I finished up by encouraging them to turn to Jesus, confess their sins and trust Him as Lord of their life. Giving the kids a Ten Commandment Coin: the parents a little Gospel of John and a tract that explains all about the Christian faith. I asked if they would read it? They assured me they would. I said BIBLE means; Basic, Instructions, Before, Leaving, Earth. So read your BIBLE every day, it’s your Spiritual food, Spiritual Breakfast for your soul.
Witnessing doesn’t get much better than that. Praise the LORD! He opened up the door of their hearts and set them free from Satan’s grip.
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring for ever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.
11 By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from wilful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
I’m sure they’ve got a lot more to discover about Jesus, church, the Bible, the Holy Spirit and walking in faith, but what an amazing beginning.
Please pray for this wonderful family, that they will turn in faith to trust in Jesus Christ and receive Him as Lord.
My friends, never give up on sharing the Good News of Jesus in such a way that you help those who’ve been kept in the dark by Satan from seeing the light of the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ, and with God’s help in the power of the Holy Spirit, enable them to gain a knowledge of their need for forgiveness and for the ONLY Saviour, Jesus Christ. God’s remedy and cure for the treatment of mankind’s sins. Amen!
Keep going for Jesus.
P.S. Why I use God’s Law (The Ten Commandments) before I share the Good News.
- The Law of the Lord is perfect converting the soul.
- The Law is a Schoolmaster to lead us to Christ.
- By the Law is the Knowledge of Sin.
- The Law cannot save us, it merely leads us to know that we need a Saviour.
- The Gospel is God’s remedy for SIN.
- Jesus is the Saviour who died and rose again to SAVE Sinners.
- Jesus came into this world to SAVE sinners.
The Commandments just open a person up to an awareness of their need of a Saviour, Jesus is that Saviour who died and rose again from the dead. When a sinner repents and trusts in Him as Lord, they will be cleansed from all sin, forgiven and given New Life (New Birth, Born Again) and their place in Heaven is secure.
He left this world to return to Heaven so that He could send the Holy Spirit to empower His followers to share the Gospel all over the world: Get full of God’s Holy Spirit, share the Good News, make the most of every opportunity to bring one more to Jesus.