Daily Spirit & Word, 454: Jesus said, “My PEACE I leave with you”
John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Good morning everyone, Sunday worship was amazing and I’m sure many people were touched by the presence of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit amongst us yesterday.
The Month of March is traditionally known as a Windy month, with strong winds and storms. You know my friends, peace is such a wonderful thing. I get some yesterday for five minutes 🙂 There are times when life is just so hectic, so busy, it’s like a swirling storm and a chain of events. Emotions run high and tempers get strained.
Every day we hear about new conflicts; major and minor wars or terrorists / freedom fighters committing some fearful and dreadful attack on innocent people. I think more than anything else today this world needs to learn HOW to be at PEACE, but for the Believer in the Lord Jesus we’ve been both; blessed with PEACE and commanded to be at PEACE, even with our enemies.
Peace is also one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit; it’s evidence for the believer in Jesus that we’ve been accepted into His family. This PEACE of the Lord is not troubled by the storms of life, but there are times when we’re called upon to act in peaceful and loving ways.
The World’s Way & God’s Way Are Different:
Let’s see what the WORLD says and what God’s Word says about the ways we must act; VIOLENTLY or PEACEFULLY.
1. “Don’t get mad, get even.” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 5:25)
2. “Do unto others before they do unto you.” God’s Way is different; (Luke 6:31)
3. “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 5:38-39)
4. “Give him a taste of his own medicine.” God’s Way is different; (Luke 6:27-28)
5. “Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 5:43-44)
6. “I’ll teach her a lesson she’ll never forget.” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 6:14-15)
7. “Are you going let him get away with that?” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 18:21-22)
8. “This means war!” God’s Way is different; (Matthew 5:9)
9. “You’ve got to stand up for your rights” God’s Way is different (Matthew 5:40-41)
10. “Being nice is weakness.” God’s Way is different; (Luke 6:35-36)
Being at and living at PEACE, as you can see if you’ve looked up the Bible verses, is not easy. Nor is it sometimes for the faint-hearted. Thankfully God’s Word also gives us great examples and illustrations for our encouragement. God has acted in the past my friends, He’s promised in so many place in His Word (His LOVE letter to Believers) that He’ll act again.
- Genesis 21:1-7— Your PEACE comes by trusting God’s Word.
- Psalm 3:4-5— Your PEACE comes from God’s assurance of answered prayer.
- Matthew 5:25-26— You are encouraged by God to make PEACE with others.
- Matthew 19:19— God’s Word instructs you to Love your neighbour as yourself.
- Romans 5:1— God’s Word says it’s your FAITH in Jesus Christ that brings inner peace.
- 1 Corinthians 1:3— You can ask God for peace of heart and mind.
- Philippians 4:4-7— God has given you some Steps to getting peace.
So we can clearly see that what Jesus said at the beginning “My peace I leave with you, my peace I give you, my peace is different from the world’s peace”…. (My own paraphrase). The results of Jesus inner peace that He’s leaving with us; Our hearts will not be troubled and we will not be afraid. No matter what the STORM or DANGER: Inner peace and contentment comes through the Lord Jesus Christ, it’s the evidence that you’ve been born of the Spirit. But just as I was saying yesterday about the Holy Spirit, though we’ve probably all got PEACE, we need more of it and we all need to practice being at peace with others and with God.
Let’s pray for the Lord’s fullness of His Spirit and more of His PEACE in our hearts today.
Be blessed for a great and peaceful week ahead.
Famous Quotes on PEACE:
“If you look at the world, you’ll be distressed. If you look within, you’ll be depressed. If you look at God you’ll be at rest.”
― Corrie ten Boom
For some more wonderful Peace Quotes Click Here
Recommended Reading: PEACE.
There are so many wonderful books and websites about PEACE (with God and with our Enemies). PEACE
130 Questions Children Ask About War by David Stoop and Stephen Arterburn (Tyndale House Publishers). Published after the 9-11 attacks, this helpful paperback is loaded with interesting questions and insightful answers. This would be an excellent resource for any discussion of war, conflict, peace, and stress.
Don’t Let Jerks Get the Best of You by Paul Meier, M.D. (Thomas Nelson Publishers). This book can help you begin to take control of your life and develop relationships that are peaceful and build confidence, trust and joy.
In the Eye of the Storm by Max Lucado (Word Publishing). Focusing on a day in the life of Jesus, Max challenges and motivates readers to move through the “stress of demands,” “storms of doubt,” and “sting of failure.”
Making Peace With Your Father by David Stoop (Tyndale House Publishers). This book will help you make peace with your father, yourself and God.
Peace with God by Billy Graham (Word Publishing). In this classic book, Dr. Graham outlines how a person can become reconciled with the Creator, peace with God, and can have the peace of God.
Peaceful Living in a Stressful World by Ron Hutchcraft (Thomas Nelson Publishers). Ron gives practical steps for finding and practicing God’s peace, despite the pressures and demands swirling around. This book is probably out of print but still available through www.Amazon.com.
Promises from God’s Word (World). This book reprints verses that address daily crises and feelings.
My PEACE I Leave With You. My PEACE I Give You.